Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Coco Blue and Seed Sharing

I couldn't figure out what my problem was yesterday. I could eat and eat and not feel satisfied. No matter how much I ate it felt like my body still wasn't getting what it needed. Then I realized. I needed fat. I've been eating so many raw fruits and veggies lately, which offer plenty of fantastic carbs and protein, but there hadn't been a good source of fat in my diet for a few days. I also felt like I needed some berries. I've been eating lots of green and orange colors lately, but no blues or purples. So I made this smoothie and finally felt satisfied.

The Coco Blue
Avocado
Frozen banana
Frozen blueberries
Coconut milk
Chia seeds
Water
  • Blend it all up and enjoy! Mine made two large servings.

The combination of the avocado and the coconut milk contributed their healthy, plant-based fat to this smoothie and made me feel much better. The smoothie is really thick and filling though. If you're looking for something lighter, try subbing coconut water for the coconut milk.

Remember my beautiful heirloom Long Island Cheese pumpkin that I made into the most delicious Thai-Spiced Pumpkin Soup last Friday? Well I saved its seeds to plant in my garden this spring, and I would love to share some with you too! If you would like a few of these glorious little seeds to grow in your own garden, just let me know in the comments section. I would be happy to mail you a few! While you're at it, become a follower of my blog if you're not already.

(31 weeks pregnant today! Can't wait to meet this little person! We'll get our first glimpse of him/her at our next appointment on Monday, then we'll actually be able to settle on a name. So exciting!)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

awesome stuff lizzie!!! will you send me some seeds??? pretty please. i'd love to grow a pumpkin in my little garden (i have to have my own little garden, despite the farm's crops). :)
address
urbanna farm c/o melissa williams
620 altman rd
hampton, sc
29924

becca said...

aw, the smoothie looks yummy.
and AHHHH you are going to get to look at your baby soon! that is so exciting!

Lizzie said...

@Melissa: I'm so excited you want some seeds! I have them in an envelope already and will put them in the mail first thing tomorrow. I hope they're fruitful for you!

Sharon Telschow said...

Gizz, Where is your follow button? I'm looking and might be blind.

Sweetness and Smiles said...

Oh I wish you could TASTE a Mamey fruit! They have the texture of an avocado, the taste of a sweeter sweet potato and the look of a coconut but softer. YOU would love them!