Saturday, March 19, 2011

Green

Ah, St. Patrick's Day in Savannah. Half a million people flock downtown for the parade, fountains and beer are dyed green, endless porta-potties are brought into the city, and people fill the squares and bars with drunkenness all day. That's not really my style, so other years I've left the state. But this year, I went really green. The greenest I've ever gotten. No, I didn't join in with the River Street festivities, I prepped a garden plot and started a compost pile at my friend Erin's house! And this isn't just any garden, it follows the method of GROW BIOINTENSIVE® Sustainable Mini-Farming. It's a super-cool method that I won't go into details about here, but you should really check it out if you're interested in growing your own food. We prepped a 100 square foot bed in which we will grow cucumbers, pumpkins, peppers, basil, tomatoes, zinnias, zucchini, potatoes, onions, radishes, carrots, cabbage, beets, broccoli, peas, lettuce, bush beans, corn, chard, asparagus, and herbs . . . the first year. Then every subsequent year you add beds and crops until someday, you get to this:
According to this method, all food, clothing, and building materials for one person can be grown on 9000 square feet (or about 1/5 of an acre). Amazing. I'm so excited to have the opportunity to grow at my friend's house, but I really can't wait to have my own land!


The other thing that's awesome about this garden is that it's such a great way to build a stronger relationship with my friend Erin, who I really, really admire. She has such a beautiful relationship with God and is an amazing wife and mother. She's right up there on the admiration scale with my mentor, Gina, who is the most awesome woman I know.

Stay tuned for garden updates and photos if I ever get my camera working again.

2 comments:

Sharon Telschow said...

This sounds very cool. I can't wait for updates to see how the growing goes.

Maggard said...

Love it. Love the new green for st. patty's. Great new tradition!