Friday, April 15, 2011

The best salad I've ever eaten

Seriously. I'm not joking. Last night I ate the best salad I've ever tasted in my entire life. The recipe for it came from my favorite cookbook: Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair. Everything I've made from it has been just ridiculously good! This is a book worth buying, not just checking out from the library. And if you want proof, try this:

Massaged Kale and Currant Salad
1 bunch kale
1t sea salt
1/4 c diced red onion
1/3 c currants
3/4 c diced apple (about 1/2 apple)
1/3 c sunflower seeds, toasted
1/4 c olive oil
2T unfiltered apple cider vinegar
1/3 c Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (I didn't even add the cheese on mine and it was still amazing)

Destem and wash kale. Spin or pat dry. Stack leaves, roll up, and cut into thin ribbons. Put into large mixing bowl. Add salt and massage into kale with hands for 2 minutes.

Stir onion, currants, apple, and sunflower seeds into kale. Dress with oil and vinegar. Toss in cheese if using.

Take a bite and ascend into food bliss.

No comments: