Sunday, October 30, 2011

Thinking of Thanksgiving (yes, already)

Last year my family came down to visit us for Thanksgiving, and they're repeating the trip this year! I couldn't be more excited! Whenever I cook for people, I view it as a fun challenge to make a meal that surprises my guests with how delicious healthy eating can be when done well. I try to prepare at least one dish (although I usually struggle to limit it to only one!) that's completely out of the ordinary - something that people don't think they'll like but end up really enjoying. My family has a pretty healthy diet, and they're not picky about food at all, so I don't have a monumental challenge to overcome this Thanksgiving, but there's always room for improvement and expanding of horizons!

Anyway, I've already been thinking about the menu. To add to the challenge, I don't want to spend all my time in the kitchen. (That was my mistake last year.) I want to spend as much time with my family as possible. I also want to use as many local and seasonal ingredients as possible. I'll definitely be making the Thai-spiced Pumpkin Soup I made for our guests earlier this weekend, but I've had no other flashes of inspiration so far. I need help! Does anyone have any suggestions or go-to, plant-based Thanksgiving recipes? If so, please share!

No comments: