Saturday, September 10, 2011

Go DAWGS!

When I say, "Go dawgs," it really means, "I love you, Clint," because he's the only reason I give a hoot about football :) He loves UGA football, so I'm all in! Today is game day, GA vs. SC, Clint's dad is here watching the game with us, and my contribution to the festivities is this amazingly yummy (if I do say so myself) spread.

I've somehow been hitting the jackpot with delicious recipes lately, and today was no exception! These banana breakfast cookies really taste like a traditional cookie that's full of junk, but they're completely good for you. Vegetarian and dairy-free on top of that.



Or how about the caramel dip? It's the beginning of apple season, and with the cooler weather we've had recently I couldn't resist making a fall favorite. I bet you thought that was a bowl full of nothing but sugar though. But again, it's sweetness comes exclusively from dates and maple syrup, and I would take this over the traditional caramel apple dip any day! Recipe here.




And there's the trusty hummus recipe I posted here. You can never go wrong with that, and no game day would be complete without some sort of bean dip.




Another fall favorite of mine: spicy sweet potato fries. I didn't think I liked sweet potatoes because the only way I'd ever eaten them was slathered with butter, brown sugar, and sometimes marshmallows (which totally gross me out). But then I stumbled across this recipe and fell in love with the lovely yam. Be forewarned, these have a bit of a kick to them, but you can always adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Spicy Sweet Potato Fries
3 sweet potatoes, cut into strips
1T extra virgin olive oil
1T chili powder
1/2t cayenne (optional, but I like it)
1/4t sea salt
Preheat oven to 425. In large bowl combine all ingredients and mix till fries are evenly coated. Spread fried out in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Bake 25-30 minutes or till crispy on one side. Turn tries and cook another 25-30 minutes till golden brown.


GO DAWGS!!

2 comments:

Sharon Telschow said...

Oh, sweet potatoes! Mmmm. Look at you cooking up a storm! Those banana cookies are EXACTLY what I have been looking for of late. I also wonder if they could be done raw (dehydrator style). Hmmm. You are my foodspiration!

Lacy said...

Lizzie, I am making these tonight...the sweet potato fries. and also, KALE!!! yippee skippee!!!