Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sun Puff Bars

Have you ever tried sunbutter? It's sunflower seeds processed into a butter just like peanut or almond butter. I tried it for the first time today and am an instant a fan! Sunflower seeds are pretty cheap too, so that makes sunbutter all the better. I didn't have much use for just plain sunbutter though (although I'm imagining it now spread on fresh apple slices), so I did a little experimenting and came up with . . . sun puff bars!

First you have to process the seeds into a butter. It took forever because my processor kept overheating. If you're planning to make this yourself, it takes even longer to turn into a smooth butter than almonds, so plan accordingly.

Then I mixed in honey, a little leftover dried coconut, and a good bit of quinoa puffs and pressed the mixture into an 8x8 pan.

Next I dotted the top with dried tart cherries, one of my favorite foods ever! I thought about getting fancy with a dried cherry puree of sorts, but didn't want to have to wash the food processor first - I was hungry!

I stuck it in the fridge for about half an hour before enjoying my first sun puff bar - yum! Simple, healthy, and tasty, the perfect combination!

And, as a surprise, here's the baby bump at 22.5 weeks. I seem to have really popped out in the last couple weeks or so and can't disguise it much longer. There's definitely a baby in there! Clint even felt it move for the first time the other day. We're getting more and more excited!


3 comments:

Lacy said...

Lizzie,

Awesome blog! and cute baby bump! I'm proud to know such a conscientious, self-motivated person! You really are amazing.

Maggard said...

Yep, your bump popped even in a week!

My October Sapphire said...

I can't believe you invented this! Impressed :)