Monday, September 19, 2011

Morning Granola

We've been waking up to a cool house and a chilly breeze outside these past couple weeks. I've been trying to resist the pull of fall (summer always seems to pass by too quickly), but its allure is finally getting the better of me, thanks in no small part to the smell of granola in the oven wafting through the house this morning. I was tired of oatmeal every morning, and I had eaten up all the breakfast cookies I wrote about yesterday, so homemade granola seemed to be just the ticket. I know that everyone has a granola recipe, but here's just one more, in case you need a change or some inspiration to spice yours up a bit.
3 cups rolled oats (or other favorite whole grain)
1/4 cup walnuts (or whatever nuts you have on hand)
1/4 cup pecans
1/4 c sunflower seeds (or pumpkin or sesame seeds)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey (or alternate sweetener of choice)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup raisins (or dried apple, cherries, apricot, etc.)
Preheat oven to 375. Mix everything together except raisins. Place in lined baking sheet or 9x13 pan. Place in oven and stir frequently, baking till oats turn golden brown. Remove from oven and stir in raisins. Dig in!
I enjoyed mine over organic yogurt. I'm wanting to cut out dairy as much as possible though, so I'm considering making my own yogurt from coconut milk. Anyone have any experience with that?

No comments: